Friday, February 20, 2015

Book Review : The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF ( Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
Kody Keplinger
Stand-Alone
Soon to be Adapted into Movie
Ebook, 270 pages
7th September 2010 by Poppy

Goodreads Rating : 3.93/5
My Rating : 1/5


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

From Goodreads



I. DID. NOT. ENJOY. THIS. AT. ALL.

Nothing works for me. NOTHING.

That surprises me actually because ive read a lot of good things (and a fair amount of bad reviews as well) on this one so I thought i might like it but meh.

I dont like the way Kody writes. Its annoying and a bit immature. Most of the events/things arent described that well. It felt like it was rushed.

The plot, is so very incredibly cliche. I dont find anything worth remembering. Its very plain.

Bianca - If I could throw her off the cliff, OH I SERIOUSLY WOULD WITHOUT ANY HESITATION. Shes whiny, shes immature, she swears too much (even for unnecessary reason), she ditches her friends when things got messed up. The whole sexcapades is so annoyingly irritating. I could understand her actions on making sex as stress reliever (im perfectly fine with that honestly bcs ive read a lot of such actions/decisions elsewhere) but the way it was written is so bad that i can't even tolerate this one this time around. You know when you dislike someone, even her sound of breathing annoys you ? That's exactly how I felt with Bianca

Wesley - hes everyone's favourite but absolutely not mine. He sounds a lot like Peter K from To All The Boys Ive Loved Before but the way Kody portrays Wesley here didnt do it for me. ( WHERE AS FOR PETER K, I LOVE HIM TO BITS. I literally cringed while reading Wesleys letter/love note to B. Just no.

Bianca's parents - How they handle their issues annoys me. They're the adults here but I cant even picture them as one. I think it's probably bcs it was too immature and childish.

Bottom line is, I think the main reason why I hate this book so much is because of the way Kody wrote this, A friend told me that her other books are good but I think i'll pass, This alone is enough for me. No more.

The DUFF movie is going to be released in cinema soon (Somewhere on April 2015, I think?). I really want to see how it turns out, despite my poor judgement of the book. I've watched the trailers AND THEY LOOK SO FREAKING GOOD. The movie is almost 85% different from the book. They really changed a lot of scenes but I think it would be better that way since the book isnt that good. Mae Whitman and Robbie Amell ? IM IN ! 




“I was the Duff. And that was a good thing. Because anyone who didn't feel like the Duff must not have friends. Every girl feels unattractive sometimes. Why had it taken me so long to figure that out? Why had I been stressing over that dumb word for so long when it was so simple? I should be proud to be the Duff. Proud to have great friends who, in their minds, were my Duffs.”  - Bianca. The DUFF

No comments:

Post a Comment