Friday, November 4, 2016

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon #2) by Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code
(Robert Langdon #2)
Dan Brown
Thriller
Paperback, 605 pages
1st March 2014 by Corgi

Goodreads Ratings: 3.77/5
My Rating: 4/5



Harvard professor Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call while on business in Paris: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been brutally murdered inside the museum. Alongside the body, police have found a series of baffling codes. As Langdon and a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, begin to sort through the bizarre riddles, they are stunned to find a trail that leads to the works of Leonardo Da Vinci - and suggests the answer to a mystery that stretches deep into the vaults of history.


“Everyone loves a conspiracy.” 

Dan Brown is one bold man to come up with such controversial theories, there's no doubt about that. 

When I first heard about the infamous Da Vinci Code, the only thought that came to my mind was, "Oh, this must be a book on a detective or sth solving crimes through decoding codes that was inspired/created by Leonardo Da Vinci." Well at least half of my prediction is correct. I was surprised however to know that this is a book about Christianity that carries a very controversial theory. 

“By its very nature, history is always a one-sided account.” 

The whole plot is fairly predictable once you've reached half of the book. The plot twist, albeit predictable, sort of caught me surprised too at some points. The whole decoding the extensive and continuous codes is really brilliant, but there are too many codes and plot twists which ends up making it annoyingly repetitive and got me.... a tiny bit bored. But heh who am I kidding, the whole decoding journey was really fun! That ending though, I expect a tiny bit more than that. Oh well.


Okay let's talk about the Holy Blood, Holy Grail theory. Woah. I'd be lying if I say I am not bothered by the Jesus lineage theory or the Christianity talks and discussions. Obviously I have different beliefs and stories from that of Nabi Isa. Sometimes I even scoffed at some ridiculous parts, but that's another story. How Dan Brown links his /fictional/ theory with objects that is totally not fictional at all (Da Vinci's paintings, historical facts, Disneys, etc) got my mind boggled. He brilliantly makes his theory utterly believable and the lines between whats real and what's fictional were so blurred that I had to stop for a while and say to myself, "This is fictional." He's that good of a writer. 

True to the title, this book has a great deal of talks on Leonardo Da Vinci, arts, paintings, Paris and historical facts. This part is really exciting!!! I dont have that much knowledge on Christendom, paintings and whatsoever so this book opens up my mind on that area. However, not all /facts/ written in this book are true since Brown adjusted them to fit his story, and I think that sucks, in a disrespectful way. 

On a more serious note, now I really really want to visit The Louvre :( 

“What really matters is what you believe.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment