Friday, November 4, 2016

The Book Of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1) by Amy Engel

The Book Of Ivy
(The Book of Ivy #1)
Amy Engel
YA Dystopia
Paperback, 282 pages
4th November 2014 by Entangled

Goodreads Rating: 4.20/5
My Rating: 4/5



After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual. 

This year, it is my turn. 

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power. 

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…

“You’re easy to read, Ivy, but the whole book of you is complicated.” 

I LOVE BISHOP LATTIMER. 

The Book of Ivy is actually a young adult dystopia, but it feels more like reading a romance book to be honest. It's like, the romance is the major plot, while the dystopian world is the minor. But hey, the romantic soul in me is totally not complaining. 

This book is different from any other dystopian books because it uses arranged marriages as its weapon-- the logic is, 2 sides of a town had a war against each other, and when the fight is over and peace is gained, they came up with an idea of having arranged marriages to ensure the peace will still roll out, the children from the losing side will offer their 16yo children to the children from the winning side. There wont be any massacres because seriously, would you kill your own descendants??? Brilliant scheme, isnt it?

“I'm not sure how we got to this place, where a girl's only value is in what kind of marriage she has, how capable she is of keeping a man happy.” 

The romance is great. Bishop is perfect. I have issues with Ivy at the start but as the pages grow, her character improves so now its all good. and its important to mention, I LOVE how Bishop and Ivy's relationship grows. How they build their trust, how they go around each other, just basically everything really.

“He didn’t save me, though. He allowed me the freedom to save myself, which is the very best type of rescue.” 

THERE WAS THIS PART WHERE BISHOP'S MOM CAUGHT HIM AND IVY MAKING OUT BUT BISHOP DIDNT EVEN BOTHER TO HIDE IT. HE KEPT HIS ARMS WRAPPED AROUND IVY AND HIS LIPS WAS AT IVY'S TEMPLE, ALL WHILE HIS MOM TALKED TO HIM IN THE FRONT DOOR IM DYING CAN I HAVE A BISHOP TOO

Like I said, this book focuses more on the romance so if you wish to read this book, don't expect too much on the dystopian side. But I was told the second book will have less romance more dystopian so yeah we'll see. 

p.s. Bishop is such an ugly name tbh I pity him

p.s.s. I will make it my life mission to kill Callie, however fictional she is. 

“My mission is not to make him happy and bear his children and be his wife. My mission is to kill him.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment