Friday, November 4, 2016

Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen
(Red Queen #1)
Victoria Aveyard
YA Fantasy
Paperback, 383 pages
12th February 2015 by Orion

Goodreads Rating: 4.1/5
My Rating: 3/5



This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control. 


“Anyone can betray anyone.” 

Roll Divergent, The Hunger Games and The Grisha into one plot line and you will have Red Queen. Ta-daaaa! 

Minus one star for the lack in originality. 

Red Queen is still a good read, however. Great writing, too. Only thing though, I was pissed off at Mare Barrow almost ALL THE TIME. She's ignorant, she trusts everyone too easily with no questions asked, she doesn't use her brain, she's overconfident, she thought she can understand and outsmart everything within 1 month of living in the palace (LMAO I SCOFFED AT THIS). For someone who keeps on saying, "Anyone can betray anyone," she sure can't foresee what's coming her way. She's just plain foolish, full stop. Another one star is deducted for her stupidity.

"In the fairy tales, the poor girl smiles when she becomes a princess."

Red Queen, in my opinion, lacks in terms of setting. There is no kingdom name (or is there???), no history and background story to tell the readers as to how Reds, Silvers and the wars begin. Everything just simply..... exists. Apart from Cal, Mare and Maven, the other characters are basically put aside with no characterization. 

The plot line can easily be predicted halfway through the book. Even the plot twist is not shocking because there were hints given right from the start lmao i still can't believe this. The hints were repeated more than three times! One would be stupid not to guess it from early on. 

Somewhere after the Sun Shooting attack, I started to feel bothered by Cal's character. I was rooting for him but then.... I don't know what happened, something about his actions bothers me but I don't know how to put it into words. I still like him, though. Don't worry. (He chooses his father's side so that says something about him.)

*rubs palms* Maven on the other hand, HE'S INTERESTING! I like him from the start, even more so after what happened. He's probably the only character that has my attention from start to finish. I understand his actions, why he did what he did. He's intelligent and quick-witted. I just wish we can see more interaction between him and Cal. 

I probably will only read Glass Sword if I can find it during BBW or at cheap booksales, if not then adios.

“Red in the head, Silver in the heart” 

No comments:

Post a Comment