Friday, May 1, 2015

Book Review : Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu

Legend
Legend #1
Marie Lu
Young Adult, Dystopia
Paperback, 295 pages
2nd February 2012 by Penguin

Goodreads Rating : 4.19/5
My Rating : 4/5


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. 

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. 

Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. 
Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

From Goodreads 



Ok I have to let this out. LEGEND IS AWESOME. Wait I’m not sure if the word awesome even covers it all but man, this book. /satisfied sigh/

This is a dystopian read which is set in 2130 in the United States of America (which has been divided into two parts; the Republic and the Colonies because of a massive flood and both these parts are at war.  And then we have Day and June Iparis to complete the story.

I was in a reading slump when I decided to read Legend and it successfully got me out of the slump (yay). It was a bit confusing at first but once you get into it, you'll enjoy it better. Legend is a fast-paced read and everything is a page turner so I didn’t get bored at all. There are a few things that's still unclear but since this is a trilogy and its the first book so that doesn't bother me much. 

Thanks to The Maze Runner, Divergent  and The Hunger Games, now the whole world is familiar with the whole dystopian thing. And that’s when all the comparison begins. Some people said that this Legend trilogy is better than Divergent. I cant say much about it for now since I have yet to finish this trilogy but so far I think it's equally good. (That's probably because I’m biased to Four). I’m not exactly sure how I feel about Day yet for now but June Iparis is seriously a one kick-ass heroine !

I recently heard that Legend has a newly-released graphic novel, but most people said its short and kinda rushed. But what the hell, I’m gonna hunt for it soon !


"Why 'Day'?"

"Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each Day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. You try to walk in the light." - Marie Lu, Legend

Legend (Legend, #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment