Friday, February 19, 2016

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Jellicoe Road
Melina Marchetta
YA Contemporary
Standalone 
Paperback, 432 pages
9 March 2010 (First published in AUS; 2006) by Harper Teen US

Goodreads Ratings: 4.16/5
My Rating : ALL THE STARS IN THE UNIVERSE




In this lyrical, absorbing, award-winning novel, nothing is as it seems, and every clue leads to more questions.

At age eleven, Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother. At fourteen, she ran away from boarding school, only to be tracked down and brought back by a mysterious stranger. Now seventeen, Taylor's the reluctant leader of her school's underground community, whose annual territory war with the Townies and visiting Cadets has just begun. This year, though, the Cadets are led by Jonah Griggs, and Taylor can't avoid his intense gaze for long. To make matters worse, Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, has disappeared. But if Taylor can piece together the clues Hannah left behind, the truth she uncovers might not just settle her past, but also change her future.



"You just have to belong. Long to be."
"By blood?"
"By love."

Do you know what's beautiful? its THIS BOOK.
Do you know which book I love? its THIS BOOK.
Do you know which book I'm planning to reread every year? its THIS BOOK.
Do you know which book made me cry so effortlessly? its THIS BOOK. (i didnt notice there were tears until my cheeks got wet)

I'm going to make it my life mission starting from now to make sure everyone I know has read this book at least once. And that includes you. Until then, we're not friends.

Its YA but its not very YA bcs its light yet its heavy. Its fluffy yet so full of heartbreaking tragedies. Definitely suits all ages.

(PUSH THROUGH THIS BOOK EVEN WHEN YOU ARE FEELING CONFUSED. ITS GONNA BE WORTH IT, I PROMISE YOU.)

Wise word from my friend Farah :

"I spent the first 50-100 pages of the book in a tug-of-war of boringness and this-scene-makes-me-want-to-read-the-book-more. EVERY TIME I felt like giving up on the book, Marchetta bait me with this scene that made me intrigued to find out what happens next. And it works! EVERY TIME."

(watch her review video here

SEEEEEEEEEE?!!1!?!?!?1!!!1?!?!

The only word that describe this book so perfectly is this; BEAUTIFUL.

“It's funny how you can forget everything except people loving you. Maybe that's why humans find it so hard getting over love affairs. It's not the pain they're getting over, it's the love.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment